Friday 8 September 2017

Remembering and Forgetting

"Misdirecting isn't lying."
 The sayings of Laurel's Mum #3

The book 'Subliminal'  by Leonard Mlodinow has a chapter called Remembering and Forgetting. It's a good book, basically about how your hind brain filters what you perceive before it reaches your cortex and you know about it so there's no such thing as objective perception. Anyhow, it's relevant to Laurel's story because she filters out so much - that's why it's got to be in the first person - so she can realise what she misses - and to today's pictures cos I reread the Elephant's Child the other day and though I remembered the story line I mis-remembered the detail, and the grey green Limpopo river which puts it firmly NOT in Sarawak.
Our river in Marudi was the Baram and it had crocodiles and snakes. The crocodiles were salt-water ones and not near us. The story was that they would catch people in the water and roll them and take them to their pantry, the entrance to which was underwater, where dead or dying they would be stored until the croc wanted to eat them.
I never saw a python though I ate it in a long house, I can't remember how it tasted. I do remember the Foo King café though - or maybe I misremember it and how delicious the huge prawns were. The snake I saw was little and possible poisonous. I saw it more than once, on the lane to the house, we used to pull our feet up off the pedals as we cycled past where we'd seen it. That's where the pitcher plants were too - on that nameless lane.

This print was the first I did. It's not very clear cos I forgot to brighten it:


When I'd done it I realised how fussy it was. I think there is a difference that is an improvement in the design between this one and the last one. I think the design of the gibbons is stronger and I think the cutting is better too though it might be different to tell on the blog because of today's being a bit foggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment