Wednesday 4 October 2017

Hans in Luck


"Once upon a time there were missionaries, now there are sociologists."
Three things -
  1. I'm no good at story, so I need to get one from somewhere and I'm going, at the moment, with 'Hans in Luck' , a Grimm's story about a boy who starts off with nothing and ends up with nothing and feels lucky about it. It seems sort of anti-ambition to me which is what I am going for. Laurel's new job might feel like it is about her finding a path but at the end she will have no more of a path than at the start - she doesn't want one, she doesn't need one, she lives in the day and is happy to do so.
  2. Peter Hoeg's 'the quiet girl' is written in a sort of third person but so intensly from Kasper's point of view that I thought it was in the first.
  3. If our actions are prompted by our wish to escape things from our past (I need to check if that is what PH wrote), then if Laurel has nothing to escape, she has no need for action.

No comments:

Post a Comment